Since there's no picture, an explanation will have to suffice. Blini bear only a passing resemblance to American pancakes. They're round, flat, starchy, and pan fried. Beyond that the resemblance ends.
A taste comparison: According to my source of information on Russian food, blini involve a cultured component which gives them a bit of a tang. Since they're leavened, they don't have the funny baking powder aftertaste that American pancakes sometimes have, and they're a lot less sweet, both qualities that I appreciate. The sweetness also has a bit more depth, since they are leavened.
A texture comparison: Somehow, and I honestly have no idea about why or how this happens, they're actually kind of custardy on the inside. American pancakes get their air from baking powder and baking soda, so they're light, fluffy, and bubbly in texture, but blini are stretchy and smooth and creamy. And again, I have no idea how, but in the process of frying, they acquire actual crispiness on the outside, which American pancakes lack, at least in my experience.
Does this explanation do the blini justice? Do they sound appetizing? I'm not sure how successful my description was, but I like them a lot, and hopefully I'll learn to make them myself.
They were served in the restaurant with sour cream and raspberry sauce. I've never had sour cream on a pancake, but it was a brilliant idea. It was sweet, but with a lot of depth. Sophisticated sweet. I believe that you can also serve them with caviar or smoked fish for traditional savory versions. They're quite versatile, so you can probably serve them with anything your heart desires for an infinite number of non-traditional versions.
And lastly, in my ode to the blini, my intent is not at all to disparage American pancakes. They have their time and place as well, and all breakfast foods have a special place in my heart and stomach.
Blini sounds so good the way you describe it. I wonder if there's a place where I can try it around here. Time to go food hunting. :) Have you tried making some at home? (and found a working recipe?)
ReplyDelete