Friday, July 17, 2009

You should be careful with your armpit.

There's a lot of important stuff in it, is my conclusion from today's dissection. There are big nerves and arteries that feed into the arm, chest, and back. The nerves and arteries there are much bigger than I ever expected nerve bundles (other than the spinal cord) and arteries to get. The axillary artery was the size I expected the aorta to be, but it was probably a centimeter in diameter on our emaciated and formalin fixed Body. And maybe all those nerves in the armpit is why it's so ticklish? Also, there's a lot of blood left in the veins. We dissect out most veins to clear the field of dissection, and the blood in there is clotted and gross. You can still get bled on by a cadaver.

For dinner yesterday, we went to a Szechuan restaurant in Chinatown. Yeah, I know, great topic for after the icky clotted cadaver blood, right? But anyway, it had a good level of spice, too much oil, and a bit too much salt. We ordered:
  1. crispy eggplant - good flavor, texture was more chewy on the outside than crispy
  2. orange beef - too sweet and sticky
  3. pea sprouts - good and clean tasting
  4. cumin lamb - okay, the one I had in Cupertino a lot was much better
  5. Mapo tofu - okay
  6. crisped pepper with chicken - way too many peppers, too little chicken
  7. salt and pepper shrimp - okay, fry was alright, shrimp themselves were not particularly succulent or flavorful
  8. house noodles - too spicy for me to appreciate
  9. and on the house: a cold spicy cabbage dish - crisp and refreshing with a kick, very nice
Overall a mediocre experience. But since we were in Chinatown, I finally got stocked up on soy sauce, sesame oil, hot sauce, and ginger candy (good for after dissection)! Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying these posts! Keep it up!! :)

    So I suppose I should be extra careful when I'm shaving my armpits, eh? hahahaha and yes, they are QUITE ticklish!!!!

    glad to know you're stocked up on soy sauce. ;)

    ReplyDelete